Translate

AFM

AFM

Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Beauty Of Nursing

Some of you have been surprised to hear that I will be working in a women's health clinic. I'll be honest so I was I haha! Women's health has never been my first choice. Give me somebody that has unstable chest pain, an intubated patient, a good respiratory failure patient or even a classic CHF patient and I am good to go! Tell me that I might be working with a women that is pregnant or has just had a baby and I get a little nervous. What is so awesome about nursing though is that there are so many different fields and specialties that you can try out and with each one you learn a new set of skills and gain more knowledge. The art of nursing and the basics are integrated into each specialty you just have to make some adjustments along the way. I think my fellow nurses would agree that nursing is a lot about being flexible, making adjustments and being willing to learn something new everyday.

When I originally put my application in for Mercy Ships it was for a position as an ICU nurse. They made sure to tell me when I applied that sometimes they don't have critically ill patients that need an ICU nurse so I would at times be needed in the regular adult wards. I was totally comfortable with that. I was prepared for that position. I really think God has a sense of humor though because of course the position that they offered me was nothing what I expected or even originally applied for haha! After reviewing the requirements and information about the women's health clinic I was confident that it would be a good fit and a great change of pace for me. Check out this short video to get a glimpse of what the women's health clinic at Mercy Ships is all about!

Women's Health Program from Mercy Ships on Vimeo.

 


Thanks for taking the time to read and stay tuned for more updates!

Deborah



Although I am currently serving with Mercy Ships, everything communicated here strictly reflects my personal opinions and is neither reviewed nor endorsed by Mercy Ships. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships.


2 comments:

  1. Deb, this is awesome - it will be such a great experience for you and I'm sure you'll be blown away when you see how much these women need help - I thank God your heart is open to this calling.

    ReplyDelete