Translate

AFM

AFM

Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Beginning

" A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao Tzu

Choices. Everyday we consciously and unconsciously make choices. We make small choices like what to eat, what to wear, and to do the laundry or not to do the laundry. We take small steps to change habits, go on a diet and exercise more. We choose to improve relationships, or impede them with our words, actions and intentions. The choices we make and the steps that we take can in a moment change the trajectory of our lives.  
 
I believe that theses small steps are not taken without a loving God by our side always. I'm learning that this life is not a sprint but indeed a journey of walking with God, trusting that He will never leave me and will guide me throughout every little or big step that I take. All he asks is that when I do take those steps that I trust him and that I walk by faith even when the road seems bumpy or isn't so clear.

I know that you have some questions though. So here goes nothing.

 
What is Mercy Ships and why volunteer?  
 
If you haven't heard of this organization I strongly encourage you to check out their website http://www.mercyships.org/ but just as a quick synopsis they use a fleet of ships with state-of-the-art facilities to provide free surgeries and medical services to the poorest parts of Africa. I choose to volunteer with this particular organization because they have been doing this for 35 years and lets be honest when you choose to live in a foreign country for 3 months you want to be with people that have done it before and know what they are doing.

Also, if you know me at all you know that medical missions is something that I have always wanted to participate in at some point in my life. It is part of the reason that I become a nurse. This organization perfectly combines my passion for nursing, helping other people and traveling a little bit while I can.  

Why Madagascar?
 
I did not make this choice. Mercy Ships chooses which part of Africa they will serve in for a certain amount of time. However, when am I ever going to get the chance to go to Madagascar again?!? So cool! And yes it is a real place that does actually exist and no I'm not talking about the movie Madagascar :)

What will you doing during your time on Mercy Ships?
 
I will be working in a women's health clinic that is run by Mercy Ships and located on land. The goal is for the women to have their surgeries on the ship and when stabilized transferred to the women's health clinic to finish their recovery. This will ensure that more women can receive the surgeries and medical attention they need. I won't actually be living on board the ship but on land in housing that is provided by Mercy Ships. I'm sure that this will have its advantages and disadvantages but I'm excited that I will get the experience of both living on land and being able to go to and from the ship as needed.

 
I'm sure that this trip will change and mold me in so many different ways and I have to say I'm excited. I'm trying not to have too many expectations but just continue to enjoy this ride and trust that God truly does work ALL things together for my good, in his timing and for his glory.

Feel free to continue to read, share this blog with somebody and join me on this 3 month adventure to Madagascar!   

Much Love,
Deborah



 Although I am currently serving with Mercy Ships, everything communicated here strictly reflects my personal opinions and is neither reviewed nor endorsed by Mercy Ships. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships.

1 comment:

  1. Im excited for you!! I can't wait to read more!! Go deb!! good luck!

    ReplyDelete