Translate

AFM

AFM

Monday, September 5, 2016

Women Power

I wouldn't call myself a feminist. Maybe it seems to extreme for me. Maybe it's cause I grew up in a house where I was outnumbered by men. I recognize how important men are to our society. God fearing, praying, obedient, hard working and committed men are the backbone of the family. They set the tone for how a household is run. Read what the bible says about men and the responsibility they are charged with and we can discuss further. I really wanna talk about women in this post but shout out to godly men living their lives for Christ, shaping family's, churches, businesses and the future generation.  

Lately, I have been thinking about the strength, influence, and courage women have. I have recently started volunteering some time at a place called the Walter Hoving Home in Garrison, NY. It is a spiritually based program that serves women who are involved in drug and alcohol addiction, prostitution and other life controlling problems. This organization has incredible success rates and is definitely worth checking out  http://walterhovinghome.org/about-us/ 

I can't help but compare and see the similarities these ladies have with the obstetric fistula patients I took care of in Madagascar. Ladies who maybe living on the opposites sides of the world, in different situations but both battling depression, loneliness, broken relationships, suicide, and complete loss of identity and hope. But God. With God and people being obedient to the call to spread his good news both groups of ladies declare testimonies filled with redemption, hope, joy peace and a future. Listening to the ladies testimonies and stories at the Walter Hoving Home has made my eyes fill up with tears of joy and my heart burst because in a way it transports me back to dress ceremony celebrations in Madagascar. 


"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, 
clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, 
humility, gentleness and patience." 
Colossians 3:12

This all got me thinking that there is just something so incredible about seeing confidence, hope and courage being restored to a woman. Not because she can then go out, conquer the world and defeat men. Just the opposite actually. A woman who is confident and finds her identity in Christ can be a more influential woman, coworker, daughter, sister, friend, wife and mother. All of these rolls that women have greatly affect the next generation. If a woman can be a better mom, she can empower her daughter to be bold, and fearless which in turn will effect the women after her. If a woman can confidently support, encourage and stand by her husband and children the family unit will instantly fortify. Most importantly, when women stop tearing each other down, and criticizing one another we can be a force to be reckoned with. We can be unified, steadfast, and absolute world changers. Whether it is good or bad our actions, words and lives all have a ripple effect. What I love about the Walter Hoving Home and nursing obstetric fistula patients is watching how strong and banded these circles of women are. I love watching how powerful and effective they can be as a group. I love watching them build each other up and how they propel each other forward into all that God has for them. 

Maybe this isn't about just women. Maybe its really about men and women coming along aside each other and working together to truly bring God's kingdom alive here on earth. Maybe I'm just sick of all the negativity, and division swirling around me on the news, media and sometimes even my own life. 

This has all been challenging me lately. Maybe I'm just giving myself a pep talk here but to all the women out there: You have something inside of you. You bear Christ's image. You are a daughter of the most high God. You have talents, gifts, and characteristics that no other women has that have been given specifically to you to influence the people all around you. Be Bold. Be Courageous. Because Christ lives in you. You are His. Stop beating your self up. Live every day to fullest and walk in confidence that goodness and mercy shall follow you all the days of your life. 

"Treat a man as he is and he will remain as he is
Treat a man as he can be and should be and 
he will become as he can be and should be."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 

No comments:

Post a Comment