Translate

AFM

AFM

Friday, January 29, 2016

Lasting Impact

As I prepare myself to leave this floating hospital ship in two weeks I'm trying to reflect on and post about experiences that have really stood out to me and impacted me during this time.

One aspect that I truly admire about Mercy Ships is its dedication to making sure that certain programs are sustainable after the Africa Mercy departs from a country. Being in Madagascar for two field service has given them an unique opportunity to really find out what education and resources the healthcare system needs. Over the last two field services Mercy Ships has implemented many educational sessions for doctors, surgeons and nurses, a surgical checklist to ensure safety in operating rooms and renovated an operating room and two buildings at the local hospital here in Tamatave.The obstetric fistula clinic that I worked in is also part of this medical capacity program. I might have mentioned it before but this clinic will be employed by Malagasy nurses and supported by another organization called Freedom From Fistula after the Africa Mercy leaves.

One of the most challenging and yet rewarding part of my time here has been training those local nurses. I have oriented nurses at home but this was very different. We don't speak the same language. Our training and education as nurses was different. Our culture is different. Add the fact that I don't have any women's health background and was learning about obstetric fistulas myself and it sounds like a recipe for disaster huh?!? They had classroom sessions with our Mercy Ships crew educator and then worked 12 hr. shifts at the clinic and on the ward at the ship. At first these local nurses were shy, and not really giving us much indication that they were learning anything. Over the weeks we slowly passed on the knowledge and skills we were learning about caring for obstetric fistula patients. We were learning and growing together and I think as time passed they started trusting us. They started asking questions, critically thinking and taking initiative with their patients. It was such a joy to see the look on there face when they finally put the pieces together, realized the significance of what they were doing and why they were performing a procedure a certain way. All the skills, knowledge, and facts that we instill in them can't compare to the fact that we are also showing them how to love patients like Jesus would. Showing compassion, loving the least of these is all completely counter-intuitive to the culture of nursing here in Madagascar. These local nurses are taught that not only can they medically care for their patients differently, more effectively and with best practices but that they also can holistically, compassionately and lovingly care for their own people.

I don't say all this to boast or pat myself on that back but to say how completely humbled and thankful I am for the opportunity to work together with these local nurse and to play a small part in teaching and molding them. Nurses who can change the culture of nursing in Madagascar, who will care for the thousands of other obstetric  fistula patients that I can't care for and will continue to compassionately and lovingly care for the poorest of poor, the least of these and some of the strongest and most beautiful ladies of Madagascar.

This video will give you more details about the medical capacity programs. Enoy!  











Although I am currently serving with Mercy Ships, everything communicated here strictly reflects my personal opinions and is neither reviewed nor endorsed by Mercy Ships. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships. 










No comments:

Post a Comment