Translate

AFM

AFM

Monday, September 28, 2015

Community


The clinic officially opened on the 22nd with 7 patients! I and one other nurse went to the ship to help transfer them from the ship to the clinic. Some logistics to figure out but it all went pretty smoothly. The ladies were excited and nervous as they have gotten used to the ship and were unsure of what the clinic would be like. All natural feelings right?!? As they cautiously shuffled down the gangway holding their foley catheter bags they smiled and said things like the sun feels so good or fresh air. Amazing what a little sun and some fresh air will do for people :)

What I really loved was watching the ladies say goodbye to all the other women on the ward. They went to each one and shook hands, hugged and kissed. It was beautiful. What I sensed right away in that moment was a true atmosphere of community. Community was the real buzz word at Messiah College. We had classes about it, they talked about it in chapel, in the dorms, in the cafeteria and after 4 years of this you think at the end that you will never discuss community again. Community however is a big part of our lives whether we realize it or not. Our communities shape us, influence our choices and attitudes.

What I find so interesting about these women is most of them believe that they are the only ones with fistulas. Most times their husband will leave them because they can't get pregnant and the constant leaking is embarrassing. Having a family in this culture is everything. If you don't have kids you have and are nothing. Their husband leaves them, and most times their family and friends reject them because of the smell and embarrassment of the leaking. They become isolated. They are alone. They have no community. Then they hesitantly travel to Mercy Ships but  quickly find out that they aren't alone and that there are so many women of all ages and backgrounds suffering from the same problem. A bond slowly begins to form. Hope begins to grow. I obviously can't understand what they are saying but as I watch them interact, laugh and look at each others foley catheters with concern or confusion you can tell that for the first time they aren't alone. They experience acceptance and love. Community, a sense of hope, love and acceptance is the greatest and most healing medicine these women can receive. As we welcomed a new women to the clinic the next day the ladies were smiling, clapping and showing them around like it was their own home haha!  When you find that kind of community you begin to flourish. You have a purpose. You are of like mind and of one accord pressing forward for the same goal.

We too crave community. We want to feel like we aren't alone in our problems or confusion. Obviously communities aren't perfect. These women are in all different stages of healing and often times these surgeries don't work for some women. I can't imagine how devastated they feel when one women is dry and they are still leaking and are told the surgery hasn't worked. How often do I encounter people in different stages of life and say I just want to be where she is or why am I struggling in this area and she isn't? It is here that I'm learning to "embrace my place" as Christine Cain says. Caring for these women. This clinic. This ministry of Mercy Ships. It is all so much bigger than myself and God in His infinite wisdom allows me to be a part of these women's lives for a time and a season. He allows me to encourage and show them His love and in the process I am learning about myself and community. He is teaching me that the best foundation of any community is hope and purpose though Christ. Only through His strength and His wisdom can I understand community and truly encourage people and walk with them through the good and bad times. He is showing me that his grace is always sufficient. That community isn't always easy and can get messy. There will be ups and downs but that's what community is all about. Walking along side people even when it isn't easy and the answers aren't clear.

If you want to read more about what I have been doing on my days off check out this post http://africamercyships2015.blogspot.com/2015/09/adventure.html

Thanks for reading!

Deborah

"Welcome" in Malagasy. Nurse's and day crew put their name and home country flag on the hands.
 
 
 
Although I am currently serving with Mercy Ships, everything communicated here strictly reflects my personal opinions and is neither reviewed nor endorsed by Mercy Ships. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships
 





No comments:

Post a Comment